Saturday 4 September 2010

Distractions

It’s a true saying, if you want to lose two hours, go on the internet for five minutes.
I have been pondering on the word distractions.
Why? Because it was the end of August 2010 and I had set myself the task of having two new mini books written.
Did I succeed? No!
Why? Because I caught the procrastinator’s virus and I used the excuse of tomorrow I will start… Well, tomorrow came and went.
Have you ever been there, where you are really cross with yourself and you just say enough, no more?
That’s what happened to me and here’s what I did and it worked.
  1. Before you fall asleep, let your thoughts be of writing, see yourself writing.
  2. Make a decision to get up early, 5am if possible.
  3. When you awake, let your mind wander to the day ahead and feel excited about what you are about to do.
  4. Go downstairs, make yourself an early morning drink, grab a pen and paper, find a place to sit and start writing.
  5. Set the discipline of writing for at least 60 minutes before rewarding yourself with a mini-break.
  6. Don’t turn on your computer (distraction).
  7. Don’t grab the morning paper or turn on the news (distraction).
Since putting the above disciplines in my life, I have now completed the next two mini books.
Embrace your procrastinator, shut out distractions and take action one minute at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment